How do I get a copy of my deceased grandfathers will?

My grandfather passed in February, his house was sold in April, no one in the family is taking responsibility for selling the house. I only found out last week that he died. How do I find a copy of his will (I know he had one) and who sold the house.

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for you loss.  If your Grandfather's Will was submittedto court to be probated, then it was done in the Probate Court in the county in which he lived.  Even if the will was not offered for probate, you are correct that someone would have had to be appointed as the representative of the estate to sell off the house. That information is also in the same court house.  So locate where the Probate Court is for the County that your Grandfather resided in when he died.  Ask for help from the court clerks to look up his name and ask to see the file.  The clerks are very helpful.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.