How do I get a copy of my father’s Will?

My father died 5 months ago from Alzheimer’s. My stepmother did not have a reading of the Will. She said she gets everything and when she dies the estate gets split between her 4 kids, my brother and I. My father was a business owner and she came into the marriage with just her kids. My stepmother also sold jointly owned property and didn’t tell anyone until I asked her about it. I contacted my father’s lawyer once and my brother called him 4 times and left messages; we wanted a call back and copy of dad’s Will.

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the Will concerning your father' estate has been probated, you can simply go down to the county court house and ask the court clerk to see the file. The Will will be in the file where you can get a copy of it since it is now a public record.

If there is no probate of your father's Will, you might contact any and all attorneys in your community that your father may have seen to see if they have a copy of his Will since your step-mother will not give you a copy of it.

If you come up empty in this endeavor, then you should retain a Wills and trust attorney to write your step-mother a letter seeking a copy of your father's Will. If you are a beneficiary under it, you are entitled under the law to have a copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.