How do I get a change of venue?

Asked on June 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A motion must be prepared under the California Rules of Procedure to request that the matter be transferred to a different venue.  Under the California Rules of Court, it is required that the parties attempt to impanel a jury prior to the motion being entertained "unless there is clear evidence of a reasonable likelihood that a fair and impartial trial cannot be had in the county."  I would speak with your criminal attorney.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.