How do I get a certified final disposition on an expunged case?

How do I get a “certified final disposition” on a felony committed 15 years ago that has been sealed and expunged? I called the courts and they tell me that is no record of it and that there is no way to get access to the records because they have been “destroyed”. I did a self FBI background check (submitted fingerprints to the FBI) and it came back with no record. I need the “final disposition” to apply for a professional license. I don’t even have a copy of the final disposition supposedly mailed to me many years ago.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Most court have computerized records in which they can pull up the criminal disposition right there on the computer. Courts may "archive" their records, but they are not supposed to "destroy" them because these are public records, and 15 years is not a long time ago when dealing with a public record. Go back to the court and request a "certified copy of conviction" to show when and where you were convicted and resulting disposition of the case. This may be difficult because only the courts keep a record of the court filings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.