How doI find out about the specifics of a case in another state?

I have a 3rd degree felony warrant in one state and now live in another. I have no idea what this charge pertains to.

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Eventually you will have to go back to the state where the felony is located and address the warrant. As long as you have a outstanding warrant, you can be arrested not only in the state where the warrant is located, but you can be arrested in your current state on the warrant as well. You can always call the court where the warrant is and they may give you some general information about what the warrant is, but until you go there and address it, it will not just disappear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.