How do I find out what’s on my father’s will.

My dad passed away pass Jan
10,2017. I recently got release
from prison and sents if been out
my mother is not telling me
anything abt my father’s death.

Asked on July 8, 2017 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In this case, you can check to see if your father's Will was entered into probate. If it was already filed then it is a matter fo public record, so you (or anyone else for that matter) has a right to see it. If it has not yet been entered, you can still obtain a copy. This is because in the eyes of the law you are what is called an "interested party". That is someone who would have inherited if there had there been no Will (pursuant to something known as "intestate succession"). Therefore, since whether or not there is a Will affects your rights, you have a stake or "standing" in this. This stake is sufficient to give you the right to bring a legal action to view your father's Will. If in fact, it is determined that your father did not have a Will, then he died "intestate" which means that as his heir you are entitled to a portion of his estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.