How can I find out what I’m being sued for?

I moved out of colorado recently, and my brother moved into my old house. A man knocked on his door the other day looking for me so he could serve me. He told my brother that I was being sued. My brother refused to take the papers and the man left. I have no idea who would

be suing me or what to do next. I don’t know how to contact this man to and get the matter settled. I’ve heard that if a processor can’t find you to serve you, you can get a warrant put out on you.

Asked on August 22, 2016 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since you no longer reside at the address where attempted service of process occurred, the process server could do a skip trace to obtain your current address so that you can be served.  No warrant is issued for you.  This is a civil case; not a criminal case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.