How do I find out if my spouse filed for divorce?

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Family Law, Mississippi


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact the clerk of the court in your jurisdiction or your wife's jurisdiction (if you live in different towns).  You can do this in person, over the phone, or electronically.  Many clerks offices now have terminals in their offices where you look up parties by names-- which means you would only have to do a simple name search.  Some counties have gotten even more advanced and have ways to do case look-ups online.  It will just depend on the policies of that clerk.  If you don't know where she's living, you may want to contact a private investigator that has access to personal history consumer reports.  Instead of just credit history, these reports give more history like public records of divorce and marriage or ownership of property. Even if the report doesn't specify the divorce filing, it can still help you narrow down where to look or call.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.