how do i find out how to move to another state while on parole? i hurd it was comepletely up to the other state how can i find if they will?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with your parole officer.  He will know how to arrange for transfer of your parole.  But as you are aware this is a discretionary matter; they don't have to automatically grant it.   Your PO could deny such a transfer or the other state could.  If your PO is willing possibly they could put a call into the jurisdiction that you want to transfer to and get some idea as to whether or not the other state would be willing; or you could just apply for the transfer and see what happens. 

When giving a reason as to why you want a transfer it will more likely be granted if you are transferring to pursuing a better job opportunity, or to obtain specialized medical treatment, or to be with family.   Something along those lines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.