How do I find out how much and how often I get a pay raise from my company?

I am a Career Service employee and I am a Placement Specialist.

Asked on July 24, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have raises which are guaranteed under the terms of a written employment contract or union agreement, you are not entitled to them. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of work much as it see fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Accordngly, your company can increase your wage or not for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written employment contract guarantying you raises at certain terms and in certain amounts, you are entitled to those raises when you should get them. If you do not receive a raise when a contract says you should, you can sue your employer for "breach of contract" to get the raise.
However, without a contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will has no right to a raise whatsover--an employer never has to give you one. Without a contract, you only get a raise when and in the amount that your employer chooses to give you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.