How do I find out about grandparents’ rights to a child?

My son got a girl pregnant and they never married. They lived together with myself and wife until about 6 months ago but have now separated. The child is 2 years old.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of some states there are statutes allowing grandparents some semblance of visitation with their minor grandchildren under certain circumstances. If you want visitation rights with your grandchild, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney in your locality to discuss your desires, goals and how such possibly can be accomplished with respect to having visits with the grandchild.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.