How do I find a lawyer to file against a mechanic/dealership in another state for negligence in inspections resulting in brake failure and accident?

Less than 1year ago. car was inspected by same mechanic/dealership who has done my inspections for years. 1 week before moving to another state, car was inspected by mechanic and should have included brake lines. Moved to other state and car brakes failed causing an accident with damage to the car. Inspected by another mechanic at another dealership though the same company who said developing problems should have been noted. Brakes and other repairs estimated at approximately $5000 with last problem found/repairs done 5 months ago. How do I find a lawyer? Is there a statute of limitations?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under General Practice, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically, accidents like these have either a one or two year statute of limitations. Your best bet is to contact an attorney who handles accidents and has had experience with negligent mechanical inspections. If you can show that you had it inspected as you should have, there were no warning signs being given to you by the car prior to the accident and you have both inspection reports, then you should have a successful case. Contact the state bars in both the state in which the negligent act occurred (first state) and in which the accident occurred. Your lawyer in the first state (if you hire one from here) needs to look at both laws to determine if it can only maintain jurisdiction (personal and subject matter) against the mechanic in the first state or second state or both and which states' laws are better.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.