How do I find a pro bono lawyer?

I don’t have money for another legal fight but if I don’t get a lawyer by next week , I will only be able to see my kids on Christmas, spring break and 6 weeks of summer. My ex-husband has primary custody of the kids and we both have legal custody. He works so much that the babysitter practically raises them. I am the hands on parent, he just looks much more stable. I have not been abused so I don’t qualify for the programs in my area. My first court battle I lost because I couldn’t afford a lawyer and by the time I got one it was to late.

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Family Law, Idaho


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Have you tried legal aid to see if you qualify for representation by them? Also, check with your local county bar association; it may have al ist of attorneys who take such cases for free or for a low cost. Finally, check if there is a law school in your area; they typically run low income legal clinics that handle custody cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.