How do I file with small claims court against my former landlordregarding the return of my security deposit?regarding

My landlord only paid us back half of the agreed amount of money. He came up with last minute fees that he cannot prove so he did not have to pay us the full amount. I have tried contacting him without any response. And now want to know how to go about filing with the courts. Thank you

Asked on August 30, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you desire to file a small claims action against your former landlord, you need to go down to the superior court clerk in the county and state where the rented property you had is located and file the small claims court complaint and summons.

For a form needed, you can go online typically in the state you are located and pull one up for filling out. You need to take the original and a couple of copies to the court clerk for filing. A hearing date will be assigned. Once assigned, you need to serve the landlord with the summons and complaint and be prepared toprove your claims before the judge assigned your case by presenting the evidence and testimony you need.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.