How do I file a motion to vacate a default judgment for divorce?

My husband served by publication in a city I never lived. Is there a form or template I can use to file? I have documentation to prove he knew where I was, how to reach me and had communicated with me. He perjured himself throughout the petition and attempted to modify a previous custody order. The petition and publication were both filed and placed in his county. The petition and divorce were kept secret from me and from the family members that talk to me weekly. The order was granted this spring. I just found out last week.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Search the website of the court which granted the divorce and you should find instructions on how to vacate such an order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.