How do I figure out my child support?

My ex-wife just started receiving disability payments since she has not worked in 9 months because she fell ill. My payments though, are about $200+ per week but after I pay rent and bills I am left with nothing. I have not used a lawyer the whole time and I did not do an equitable distribution. She kept the house and gave me a $10K lump sum.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the guidelines for child support in each county of all states in this country, the amount of child support that a parent must pay is calculated based upon the net monthly disposable income of each parent and the percentage of time each parent has the minor child or children.

I suggest that you contact your local legal aid clinic or county bar association to see if each of these organizations has a program to assist you in filing a petition with the court to modify your current child support monthly obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.