How do I fight my uncle in another state for my father’s assets that was left to us?

My father moved to out of state a few months before he passed with my uncle.My uncle he is trying to take everything from me and my sister, even my father’s ashes.

Asked on March 9, 2013 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You must obtain the help of a lawyer in the state where your father passed away.  I do not know what assets your father had when he died or who was "on the title" to those assets (like a deed to a house, bank account, etc.).  If your father was the only person on the title, then his children should inherit before his brother would inherit.  However, if his brother was on the title, he would now own the assets.

I hope this helps.  Please talk to a lawyer about it in more detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.