How do I execute a3-day pay or vacate?

Filled out paper and the judge signed. However, the clerk gave the wrong information, so I missed the court date. Tenants say they won. No papers served to us from the courts. What can I do?

Asked on March 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am a little confused about what exactly you want to know here.  I think that you are assuming that your case is gone and you can do noting to bring it back to life.  I do not think that that is true.  I believe what happened is that the matter was dismissed because you failed to appear on the Court date.  But it is not fatal. You just need to start the entire proceeding again.  First go down to the curt and look up what was docketed - indicated on the formal record - as the outcome that day.  Ask the court clerk for help in finding out.  Once you know I would go and seek help from an attorney to make sure that everything is properly served the next time around and the date properly recorded.  Then you are on your way to gaining possession of the premises.  God luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.