How do I even find if I’m in a will if the lawyer s that supposedly wrote the will won’t cooperate and tell me anything?

My dad died last month in
Florida…I live in Texas and have
contacted the lawyers office that
claims they drew up the draft but
claim they have no idea what
happened after that.
It’s taken me a week of
continual calls to get that
far…the lawyers office seem to
be holding something back. They
won’t give me any contact
information to any of my relatives
in Florida. I can’t get any
contact info from the funeral
home, the county courthouse, or
the church where the services were
held. Where do go from here ?

Asked on August 29, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If possible, you can look in your father's house, among his things to see if you can find a copy of his Will. You can also check with his accountant, if he had one; many times they are privy to a client's personal legal affairs. Additionally, if you can track down other family memebers or friends, they may be of help. You didn't mention if your father was married; obviouly if he was his surviving spouse would be the one to ask. Further, even if he did have a Will, you may not have been mentioned in it; parents can disinherit their children. If, however, he had no Will, then he died "intestate" which means that as a child, you should be entitled to inherit something as his heir. At this point, you can contact a local lawyer for further advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.