How do I drop charges that I put against someone?

When the police first asked I told him that I didn’t want to prosecute but a friend of mine came over and she persuade me to prosecute while I was upset. I tried to go to night court the next day and they told me to wait until my court date. The charges are imprisonment and domestic assault. Is there anything I can do to get them dropped?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please speak with an attorney yourself about the matter.  If the charges are valid then you need to pursue the issue.  If the charges are not valid then you have a problem anout filing a false report and possibly perjury.  So you need to protect yourself either way.  Please.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.