How do I divorce one woman ifI “remarried” another?

I am married to a woman in TX. I thought we were divorced when I moved out-of-state. I did one of those on-line things and now I can’t find the site. Well my problem is I actually got married to a second woman. Now I am trying to find out what it is that I need to do to get this all taken care of. I have not seen my supposed to be ex-wife since early 2004 when she left. I would really like to get this fixed. My supposed to be current knows of situation. We have researched and can’t find out how to do it the right way.

Asked on July 24, 2010 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The right thing to do at this point is to get an attorney to help you.  You have married two women and bigamy is illegal in every US State.  You are now going to file for divorce in the state that you are a resident but you will have to gain "jurisdiction" over your first wife.  That means that she has to have sufficient notice of the proceedings in order for the court to be able to make a decision that involves her.  You are going to have to submit a due diligence search for her to the court if you do not know where she is for service of the Petition for divorce.  Doing it yourself did not work the first time. It is even more complicated now.  Get help.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.