How do I dissolve an estate Trust?

It was my grandfather’s estate which named my mother as Trustee beneficiary when he passed. If anything were to happen to the 2 of them, my oldest sister was to be named trustee. The lawyer never completed what needed to be be completed after my grandfather passed the property is held in my mom’s name as trustee beneficiary. My mom has since passed, and this layer assured us that everything had been completed. Now we have found out it hasn’t and my sister is indeed the trustee with us 3 girls as beneficiaries. The lawyer has not returned any calls, emails or responded to registered letters for 4 weeks. What do we do?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for the situation as it is. But it is difficult to understand everything with out seeing the documents in place. What you need to do is to dishcarge - fire - the old attorney, hire a new attorney as soon as you can and have that lawyer write a letter requesting the file be turned over to him or her.  The attorney will respond then or risks his being called out byt the new attorney and discipinary action.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.