How do I create a Trust for my children?

Asked on November 21, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will need to obtain an experienced estate planning attorney to create a pour over will and then create the trust. Your properties will then to be sent into the trust and then you have to decide what details on spending you want in there. Would this be a spendthrift trust (controlling the spending) or a trust wherein funds are not given to the kids until they hit a certain age or level of school.
Make sure you also consider medical directives and powers of attorney and contingent plans.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.