how do I collect my court ordered alimony payments?

I have a court order for child support and alimony but my ex stopped paying all payments as of 11/1/2016. as a result i lost my apartment and agreed to temporarily let the kids stay with him. which I understand was the hole point of him withholding payments to get the kids. We have joint custody of the kids and I understand his dispute on paying the child support during the months the kids are with him, however the alimony payment are what I am concerned about at this time he has stopped all payments to me and I want to know how I can enforce the order for him to pay alimony payments and the past due payments he owes me.

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause with the court for a hearing on contempt of court.  Prior to filing your Order to Show Cause, call the court clerk to schedule a date for the hearing.  Include the date/time/department of the hearing in your Order to Show Cause.  You will also need to file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  You should also file any additional documents or other items that provide supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  File all of these documents and a proof of service (court form) with the court.  Then, mail a copy of all of the documents you filed with the court to your ex to provide him with notice of the hearing. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing and is included with the documents you are serving on your ex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.