How do I collect a wage garnishment from a small claims case against a DMV employee?

I sued in small claims against a person, and won. Now I would like to collect. I know he is an employee of the DMV. I have his SSN and which office he works at. I have the paperwork (writ) but I don’t know which county sheriff to send the writ/instructions to. How do I find the address or person to send the paperwork to at the DMV?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way to garnish the wages of the employee of the department of motor vehicles that you have a judgment against is to prepare a writ of execution, notice of levy, memorandum of garnishee, instructions to the levying officer and submit such to the court clerk forsealing. Once sealed, take copies of the documents to the counrt sheriff's department (civil division), pay your fee and the sheriff will then serve the wage garnishment on the employer.

If successful, you will be getting money every pay period to pay down the judgment you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.