How do I change the name on my birth certificate if it is from a foreign country?

When my parents applied for my citizenship, they spelled my name differently. Now that I am a citizen, I would like to make my birth certificate match my other legal documents by having the same name.

Asked on February 4, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You will need to contact the agency in your home country that is responsible for the issuance of the birth certificates and provide all the new documentation showing your spelling of the name as you want it to be and request that it be changed on the BC as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.