How do I change my last name if my marriage certificate only shows my maiden name?

I was recently married in Nicaragua, whose laws don’t allow me to take my husband’s last names. I want to change my last name to his though here in the U.S. but as you can see the Nicaraguan

certificate has my maiden name. Is there a way that I can still change my last names to his here in the U.S.?

Asked on March 21, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can legally change your name to your Husband's name in any State by filing the proper paperwork.  In the State of Indiana it is a Petition filed with the clerk of the Court.  I will give you the link to the website here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.