How do I change my land into my childrens name?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a new deed prepared and filed listing your children on the deed. Are you transferring the property out of your name completely or are you retaining ownership?   Are you attempting to avoid having your children go through probate on the house?  There are options in Virginia such as living trusts, etc.  You will need to see a lawyer to prepare the deed for filing.  If he/she is knowledgeable in estate planning maybe you can ask him/her about those options.  And remember that there are filing fees for a new deed as well. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.