How do I change a house title from one person to the next?

An uncle and niece are on title jointly. The uncle passes away so the property goes to niece, however the niece wants to give it back to her mom. What is the fastest way to do this with the least amount of trouble. The house was supposed to go to the mom but didn’t get to change it before he passed away.

Asked on March 6, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed can transfer the property from the niece to the mom.
A quitclaim deed will release the niece's entire right, title, and interest in the property to the mom.  The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary.  The quitclaim deed becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.