How do I cancel a police report?

I filed a police report earlier for what I though had been a stolen bicycle. I looked everywhere I might have left it, and called pawn shops, and then decided to file. Hours after filing the report, I remembered one last place I hadn’t looked, and there it was. I’d like to cancel my police report so that I don’t get arrested riding my own bike, but I’d prefer not to get charged with filing a false report.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You will not be charged with filing a false police report if you did not knowingly provide false information to the police when you made your report. What you need to do is simply contact the police department and let them know that your bike was found so that they can close out the report so that the bike is no longer reported as stolen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.