how do i break a lease in an apt complex that i feel unsafe in ? its just me and my son? i have also have had alot maintance problems

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract.  the landlord may sue you for failing to pay the lease - i.e. the balance of the months that are due.  If you are having maintenance issues, you need to put them in writing to the landlord to place him on notice.  That way, you can possibly move out without having to pay becasue the landlord has made it impossible for your ro live and has failed to provide you with the basic necessities.  However, i would need to know more about the maintenance issues.  The legal term for your ability to move out without a penaly is called "contructive eviction."  I do not think that you can move out based on the neighborhood.  however, you can try to negotiate that with the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.