How do I begin a “deed in lieu of foreclosure”?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Have you consulted with an attorney as to your options other than a deed in lieu of foreclosure?  Like a short sale?  If this is your last resort you or your attorney should contact your lender but do not be surprised if they do not accept your offer. Often they would rather accept the cash from a short sale than be saddled with real estate.  If they do accept then make sure an attoney reviews the agreement and any right to collect a deficiency is waived.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.