How do I began to expunge or seal my arrest after my case has been dismissed?

Asked on July 11, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In PA, clearing an arrest from a criminal history record involves filing a petition for expungement with the Court of Common Pleas in the county where the arrest took place. The court also requires certain documentation be included with the petition, including a proposed expungement order and a copy of the petioner's criminal background report from the State Police.

This can be a very confusing and time-consuming process, so you may want to hire an attorney who specializes in expungments. If not, here is a link to a site that I think you will find to be of help; it's covers the process in Tioga County but it's much the same throughout the state:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.