How do I avoid probate if no Will was left and I’m the only child?

I have already taken care of the funeral and his few creditors. Everything he owned is paid off but how do I receive my insuance benefits now? They are asking for a small estate affidavit but the amount is over $4100,000. What do I do?

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Estate Planning, Washington


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You might  qualify for Washington’s simplified “small estate” probate program. I believe this is what the court is asking for. Filling out the affidavit is the simpliest way to go about avoiding the probate procedure. If you do not qualify, you simply must go through the process. You will likely qualify if the amount is no more than $100,000 after debts and liens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.