How do I approve my employer is giving unfair wages

I started at a new and used car
shop that also did tires he’s only
paying 20 a day from nine to five
six days a week he financed a
vehicle for me and said that if I
try to find a better job I
couldn’t take the vehicle with me
how do I get out of this safe.

Asked on May 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is violating the law. Minimum wage in your state is $9.75  per hour: all employees MUST be paid at least that much. If you work 7 hours per day, you must be paid at least $68.75 per day. Furthermore, you must get time-and-half for all hours past 40 in a week, which based on what you write, means for probably two or so hours per week.
It is possible that his financing of your car for you might be considered wages, but it also may not be: generally "wage" means "wage," not other perks, benefits, etc. And even if it were to be considered a supplement to your wages, unless the amount of interest he is carrying for you is around $48/day--and it's not; that would mean the interest alone on the car would be around $15,000/year, which is what you might get on a Ferrari or high-end Porsche or the like--he would still be underpaying you.
Contact the state department of labor to file a wage and hour complaint: you may be owed a great deal of back wages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.