What to do if my girlfriend and I had a fight and her nose was broken so I got scared, fled when she called the police and now they are looking for me?

Asked on November 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you should do is retain and speak with a criminal defense attorney IMMEDIATELY. Hitting your girlfriend and breaking her nose is a crime--assault; you are potentially compounding your offense by adding "fleeing prosecution" or a similar act to what you are liable for. Experienced criminal defense attorney can advise you as your best course of action, represent you to the police and prosecution, as well as in court, explain in the most reasonable way possible why you fled, and maximize your chance of minimizing any punishment. Do NOT speak to anyone about this matter before you speak with your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.