how do i add my boyfriend to the deed to my house

how do i add my boyfriend to the deed to my house

Asked on March 7, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You would have to refile the deed.  But may I ask: why are you adding him?  Legally the house then becomes half his and should you break up he can bring an action to have the house sold (partition action) and if he passes away and the deed does not say "rights of survivorship" his family now owns half your house. I would go and speak with an attorney about this all.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.