How do I access traffic ticket information on an individual who hit me?

I was in a car accident – individual hit me from behind at an excessive rate of speed. It is rumored that alcohol was in his car and he had also been stopped by the police approximately 2 hours prior to hitting me. How do I find out what he got a ticket for prior to the accident?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Accident Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you were involved in an automobile accident you are entitled as a matter of law to have a copy of the police report.

Given this, I would simpy go to the police department that reported the accident that you were in and make a request for the incident report to be provided you. Having the report will show whether or not anyone involved in the accident was ticketed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.