How do I amend visitation?

My divorce states that my sons live with me full-time during the summer. However I still have to pay $1,100 a month to their mother even though they are with me. If I can’t afford to “do” both, can I just make a request to have them stay with her as if school was still in session?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

May I suggest an alternative?  May I suggest that you ask the court to modify the agreement to allow you to suspend payment - or ask that she infact pay you support - in the time frame that they are with you?  Although I do not know you and yor family I can only assume that your children want to be with you in the time that they are permitted.  They are only young once and you will never get that time back.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.