How could my mom get full custody of me?

I’m 14 years old and I currently live with my dad. My parents have shared custody.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You Mom would have to start a proceeding to change the custody order requesting that she now become the custodial parent.  Your Father can also agree to modify the agreement and have you live there but it should be in writing.  Now, the court will ask you why you wish to now live with your Mom.  It is understandable that a child may want to live with the other parent to have a closer relationship, etc.  The courts do not want to hear that your father has too many rules or that your Mom is less strict.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.