How could i be charged with aggravated assualt?

I was having a party a three guys pull up starting trouble a fight breaks out and two of them run and one gets beat up but was not seriously hurt, no cuts or bruises, because the police arrived i was the only one charged with it but not until three weeks after it happen, what should i do?

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Get a criminal defense lawyer, NOW. If you can not afford one one will be appointed for you. But if you can afford one, or get family and friends to chip in, you'll usually be far better off as this is a serious charge, with potential prison time.( has some great ones.)

A lawyer will first try to get the charges reduced, and work out a plea deal or put the state to its proof. Perhaps there are mitigating circumstances, or the prosecutor is over-charging in expectation that you'd willingly plead to a lower offense, or even get the equivalent of a conditional discharge (if you previously had a clean record). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.