how close to my property can my neighbor dump his grass clippings

I am wondering, in Snohomish County WA, how close to my property line can my
neighbor dump his grass clippings?

Asked on June 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under general legal principles, as long as the clippings are on his property, they can be as close to your property as he likes: e.g. 1 millimeter from the property line. He can't dump them on your side, but he can put them anywhere on his own property. It's possible there is some local (e.g. municipal, or town/city) code (like a health or building code provision) which may govern this and require some "set back" (that the clippings not be within X feet of your property) or that he may have to dispose of the clippings somehow (e.g. have them taken away or thrown out) rather than just leaving them there. You can go to your town clerk's office and ask if there are any code(s) that may govern this; the clerk can either tell you or direct you to the correct department or person to ask. But if there is no local code or ordinance controlling what he can and cannot do with the clippings, he can put them anywhere on his own land that he wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.