How can you remove a roommate that is on the rental contract?

My girlfriend and I have had this roommate for 1 year or so and we have not been getting along at all. Me and my girlfriend have been living here for over 4 years and don’t want to move. The roommate has stated that she does want to move but has not. I just need some help in seeing what I can do to remove here from the rental agreement since we pay month-to-month.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the roommate is on the lease--the rental contract--with you, you can't remove her against her will. The landlord could evict her, if she violates the lease in some way, deliberately damages his property, sufficiently disturbs the peace of other tenants (which is more than simply not getting along with them--she'd have to be doing something more generally improper, like creating excessive noise late at night). Or if the tenancy is month to month, the landlord could give her, if he chose, one month's notice that her tenancy has ended and then evict her. The important thing is, though, that if she is on the same lease or rental contract as you, you do not have a right to get rid of her--only the landlord may.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.