How can we stop a beneficiary from filing frivolous objections so that we can closeour father’s estate 3 1/2 years after he has died?

Will left 50% to girlfriend; 50% to his kids (me/siblings). 2nd house sold 1 1/2 years ago, profits split, debtors paid. Girlfriend’s kids (not his) named in Will to get $4K each. But there is $0 in estate account. Girlfriend files objections so we can’t close estate. Accused us of overpaying probate lawyer, selling items without declaring profit (we didn’t take or sell anything) because more moneyin the estate account means her kids get some money. He miscalculated value of 2 homes. We have to pay lawyer each time she objects and for hearing. How can we stop her? She just wants to harass us and get more money.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What needs to be done to close out your father's estate is to have a final inventory of the estate's assets file by the probate lawyer as well as a petition to the court for an order of distribution where the assets will be distributed to those entitled to what they were given, creditors paid and an order of final distribution signed and filed with the court clerk.

At this time the girlfriend of your deceased father can file whatever pleadings with the probate court concerning the above suggested petition. The probate judge will then conduct the hearing, review all pleadings concerning it, listen to any oral argument and then make a decision hopefully closing out the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.