How can we make a mutual post divorce agreement legally binding?

Divorce decree states that I pay 20% of my military retirement on a monthly basis. We have agreed to a lump sum settlement.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In most juristictions, an agreement which supercedes a judgment has to be approved by the court and incorporated into the final diisolution decree.  If it is an arms length transaction, fair to all parties, with no coersion, the judge will normally approve the new agreement.   Unfortunatelt, you will have to go back to Court for approval.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.