How can we help my grandmother get medicine she needs if she is unwilling?

My grandmother is elderly and was diagnosed as bipolar last year. Recently she has been out of medicine and refuses to see a psychiatrist to get prescribed more medicine. She is currently having episodes and needs medicine someone to monitor and make sure she takes it. What legal rights do her children have to help assist her in this-if she is unwilling? She is not really a harm to herself at this point. Also she is spending money wildly.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  It is very caring and thoughtful of you to ask this question.  It is obviously a very difficult time for your family.  And although you may not think so your grandmother is in deed harming herself if she is not exercising good judgement in managing her affairs.  She could spend herself in to destitution.  Her children have to consider having a conservator or guardian appointed on her behalf to make sure that she is properly cared for. The conservator can act for her benefit financially as well as for making decisions on her health care.  It is really only a matter of time before things deteriorate and get much, much worse.  It is beter to act now.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.