How can we get our father’s property out his house from his girlfriend/roommate. because he didn’t have a ill and she won’t give us his things?

Our father just lived with this women and we belive she killed him beacuse they blacked out the police report and have no records on him the night of his death. We belive she’s just trying to get the insurance money and keep his things. She won’t give us his items out the house or the cars. They were never married but she is a co-signer on the car.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for our loss.  The best thing for you to do is to have some one appointed as the personal reporesentative of his estate in the probate court.  That person can act on behalf of the estate and legally obtain his things.  The title of the vehicles will govern here who owns them and what is to be done.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.