How can someone reopen a case from 2 years ago when it was closed.

My husband filed for divorce and custody of our kids 2 years ago, it was closed and we since had been living together as husband and wife. I just recently got a notice in the mail of a court date, we went to court this morning and the lawyer for him said it was a final hearing, but he ask the judge for a continuance on my behalf. We are still living in the same house. Is this legal?

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Family Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please, see a good divorce attorney in your area, immediately.  One place you can start looking for the lawyer you need is our website,

I'm not sure how you know that the case was closed, but if you have some proof of that -- other than what your husband told you -- you need to get your hands on it.

There are a few ways that this could have happened, and I'm not going to start guessing, but none of them would reflect well on your husband, I'm afraid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.