How can my girlfriend get a divorce if she is pregnant with our child?

She has been trying to get a divorce for over a year now; the judge won’t give one because they found out that she is pregnant. Is there anything that we can do because I want my son to have my last name and have my name on his birth certificate. Is there anything we can do about this?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you want your son that your girlfriend is carrying to have your last name on his birth certificate and have you listed as the father, all she needs to do is advise hopsital staff of this fact.

As to getting the divorce completed sooner rather than later, I do not know the facts for the delay. As such I recommend that you girlfriend consult with a family law attorney to see what can be done to speed up the final decree of dissolution from her husband.

Good luck to you three.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.