How can I terminate a rent-to-own home lease of 10 years without being sued?

I live in a mobile home park where my bill of sale paper says my space rent and mortgage payment should be a certain amount for the duration of the 10 years but the manager wants to raise the space rent, can this be done? If I don’t agree with management, how can I get out of my rent-to-own agreement or make them comply?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agreement for your rent to own home stating that the lot and monthly mortgage patment is set at a certain amount for a set time period, you and the seller of the property that you live in and the landlord for the lot are bound by the express terms of the agreement in that it sets the obligations owed to you by the seller/landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

I would write the seller/landlord a letter setting forth your position and the fact that the space rental cannot be increased by the terms of the written lease. If the seller/landlord refuses to agree with your position, I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about the written agreement that you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.